Apple seeded iOS 5 GM (Build: 9A334) version to developers after the “Let’s Talk iPhone” keynote. iOS 5 public version will be available on October 12th. The GM version is the last beta version of iOS 5. This version is available only to registered Apple developers.
iPhone hackers were pretty fast in releasing the updated versions of redsn0w & sn0wbreeze to jailbreak iOS 5 GM. These two tools provide only tethered jailbreak for now. And sn0wbreeze gives you the option to preserve baseband while updating to a new iOS version. This helps to use ultrasn0w or GEVEY unlocks.
Both redsn0w & sn0wbreeze for iOS 5 GM support the following devices:
- iPhone 3GS Old Bootrom – Untethered
- iPod Touch 3G, 4 – Tethered
- iPhone 3GS (New Bootrom), 4(GSM/CDMA) – Tethered
- iPad 1 – Tethered
How To Jailbreak iOS 5 GM?
1. Download redsn0w 0.9.9b3 / sn0wbreeze 2.8b8
Note: You also need iTunes beta 9 to update to iOS 5 GM
2. Make sure you have iOS 5 GM IPSW file for your device. If you’re going to use redsn0w, you must have iOS 5 GM installed on your device. With sn0wbreeze, you can first create custom firmware and then update via iTunes
3. Run the appropriate tool (sn0wbreeze / redsn0w)
4. For sn0wbreeze:
- Point to iOS 5 GM & build custom IPSW file
- It’ll take some time to patch the kernel and build custom IPSW
- After it is finished, sn0wbreeze will show you instructions to put your device into DFU mode. Once it’s in DFU mode, open iTunes & do Shift+Restore and select the IPSW file from Desktop
- Point to iOS 5 GM & wait till it patches the kernel
- After that, redns0w will show instructions to put your device into DFU mode. Once it’s in DFU, redsn0w will patch the iOS on your device
5. Once you jailbreak with redsn0w or sn0wbreeze, you’ll have Cydia installed on your iDevice. If your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad restarts, you must “boot tethered” from redsn0w or iBooty.